Tycoon Plans $8.2b Chinese ‘hollywood’ Complex

Hollywood Wax Museum plans summer 2014 debut in Myrtle Beach

currentDate:9/23/13 8:0 EDT! allowComments:true! displayComments:true! Richard C. Sarafian, Hollywood director, dies at 83 AP/AP – Director Richard Sarafian was best known for 1971s car-chase thriller Vanishing Point. By Steve Chawkins, Richard C. Sarafian, a Hollywood director best known for the speed-addled saga of squealing brakes and existential angst chronicled in the 1971 cult film Vanishing Point, died Sept. 18 in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 83. Mr. Sarafian was recovering from a broken back when he contracted pneumonia, family members said. Looking for things to do?

wanda chairman wang jianlan

23, 2013 Myrtle Beach, S.C. You wont see the likeness of a massive King Kong emerging from the building just yet, but work on the Hollywood Wax Museum in Myrtle Beach is set to start in the next few weeks. The attraction, at 21st Avenue North and U.S. 17 Bypass, aims to open by summer. Crews, who will start interior demolition in the next few weeks, will transform the roughly 26,000-square-foot former NASCAR Cafe building into a two-story wax museum plus two, yet-to-be-named smaller attractions that will round out the planned entertainment center. Visitors will be able to pose with wax figures of celebrities, though no word yet on the stars who will be part of the Myrtle Beach wax lineup. Hollywood Wax Museum debuted on Hollywood Boulevard in February 1965 with life-size wax figures of celebrities and has been owned by the same family since then. The Myrtle Beach museum would be the fourth in the United States; the other two are in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and Branson, Mo. We are pleased to work in partnership with Burroughs & Chapin on bringing the world-famous Hollywood Wax Museum to Myrtle Beach, said Tej Sundher, whose grandfather founded the original Hollywood Wax Museum. We know this beautiful city is a great match for our project and look forward to becoming part of the community. The attraction — which initially wanted to feature a Mount Rushmore on one side and the well-known Hollywood sign on other side of the buildings outside, as well as shooting stars around its sign — had to tone down the dramatic exterior presence to get the blessing of the citys Community Appearance Board, which must OK the signs, landscaping and building exteriors of new development. The current, stripped-down design features a large King Kong scaling a skyscraper not to exceed 80 feet high; the other elements were removed. The Hollywood Wax Museum is a fantastic addition to Myrtle Beach and Broadway at the Beach, said Patrick Walsh, senior vice president of asset management with Burroughs & Chapin Co. Inc., which owns the spot where Hollywood Wax Museum will operate and Broadway at the Beach, the bulk of which sits across U.S.

‘Jimmy Kimmel’ presents Justin Timberlake, Paul McCartney on Hollywood Bouelvard

Brenda Gazzar

Wanda Chairman Wang Jianlin speaks during a press conference after a launching ceremony of Qingdao Oriental Movie Metropolis in Qingdao in east China’s Shandong province, Sept. 22, 2013. (Photo: AP) Wang Jianlan is richest man in China with fortune of $14 billion He plans to spend $8.2 billion to build Hollywood in Chinese city of Qingdao Complex to include 20 film studios, largest stage in China, wax museum, theme park and yacht marina SHARE 13 CONNECT 7 TWEET COMMENTEMAILMORE QINGDAO, China (AP) China’s richest man plans to spend $8.2 billion (50 billion yuan) to build the country’s version of Hollywood in the northeastern city of Qingdao. In a glitzy, star-studded red carpet event Sunday, Wang Jianlin said his company, Dalian Wanda Group, will build a state-of-the-art film studio complex in a bid to dominate China’s rapidly growing movie market. The Qingdao Oriental Movie Metropolis’s 20 studios will include a permanent underwater studio and a 108,000-square foot stage that Wang said would be the world’s biggest. The facility will also include an Imax research and development center, cinemas and China’s biggest film and celebrity wax museums. The first phase is planned to open in June 2016 and it will be fully operational by June 2017. A yacht marina, eight hotels and a theme park will be built to attract tourists. The company has signed a preliminary deal with “a number of global film and television giants and talent agencies” to shoot about 30 foreign films a year. It did not name the companies. Wang also hopes to attract more than 50 Chinese production companies to make at least 100 domestic films and TV shows a year at the studios, where sets will simulate locations from Europe, the Middle East and China’s Ming and Qing dynasties. Dalian Wanda, which operates cinemas, hotels and department stores in China, last year bought the U.S. cinema chain AMC for $2.6 billion and snapped up British yacht maker Sunseeker in June this year.

Richard C. Sarafian, Hollywood director, dies at 83

FILE - In this Sept. 10, 1973, file photo, Muhammad Ali, right, winces as Ken Norton hits him with a left to the head during their re-match at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif. Norton, a former heavyweight champion, has died, his son said, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013. He was 70. (AP Photo/File)

A portion of Hollywood Boulevard will be closed from Highland to Orange through Wednesday morning to make way for two concerts planned for AuJimmy Kimmel Live.Au (Andy Holzman/Los Angeles Daily News) By Brenda Gazzar , Long Beach Press-Telegram Posted: 09/24/13, 12:36 AM PDT | Singer-songwriter Justin Timberlake will be performing on Hollywood Boulevard today, the second consecutive night of free performances presented by ABCs Jimmy Kimmel Live that have shut down a portion of Hollywood Boulevard until Wednesday morning. Beatles legend Paul McCartney, whose album New is due to be released in October, kicked off the season Monday night by making his first appearance on the late-night talk show and then performing some of his greatest hits on the boulevard afterward. Tuesdays taping begins at 5:30 p.m., with Timberlakes concert starting at about 6:30, according to a representative of the show who asked that her name not be used. Timberlake released his third studio album, The 20/20 Experience, in March. All lanes of Hollywood Boulevard between Orange Drive and Highland Avenue have been closed since 8 p.m. Sunday night and will remain shut until 6 a.m. Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles Department of Transportation. These types of events are not unusual just plan ahead, give yourself more time, said Jonathan Hui, a DOT spokesman, of the closure. McCartney and Timberlake fans are jazzed about the open-to-the-public concerts, with some taking to Twitter to express their appreciation. Traffic nightmare in #Hollywood 9/23, 24 but cant think of better reason than free concerts w @Paul McCartney & @jtimberlake! tweeted Rita Tateel, president of the Celebrity Source. This is another example of why I wish I lived in Hollywood & not Phoenix, wrote comedian Mike Simpson in another tweet. About the Author